Saturday, October 8, 2011

So, Steve Jobs has passed...

A screen capture of Apple's current homepage

I didn't actually think I'd care too much. But I find myself strangely, I don't know... taken aback might be the correct phrase? It was surprising when he stepped down, as we've seen what happens when he's not running Apple. Remember those orange or red or blue, translucent apple computers from around 10 years ago? That was Steve returning to his post because Apple was failing against Windows -- Jobs brought the design back, in both software and hardware. He made that company.

I never bought any Apple products beyond an iPod, which I eventually replaced, leaving me now as one of the few, and not-so-proud Microsoft Zune owners. But somehow, his influence, what he has done for the world, is inescapable. He has left even me in a strange place.

Sadly though, it seems he knew it was coming. He dropped his CEO title just over a month ago. In a letter quoted on Wired, he had this to say:
"I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately that day has come."
Wired also collected various quotes from people including President Obama, Mark Zuckerberg, Roger Ebert, Steve Ballmer and many, many more. Bill Gates also chimed in though. Here's what he had to say:
"The world rarely sees someone who has had the profound impact Steve has had, the effects of which will be felt for many generations to come. For those of us lucky enough to get to work with him, it's been an insanely great honor. I will miss Steve immensely."
For what it's worth, best wishes to Steve's family and friends. He will be missed, even by non-Mac users.

No comments:

Post a Comment